05 February 2009

Sitting in 2nd Cup

Espresso con panna? What is this? The owner of 2nd Cup Cafe in Allston was perplexed when I made my request. Also known as a double espresso with a dollop of whipped cream on top, the espresso con panna is quite delicious. I thought it was a common order, but apparently not. As my roommate, Marielle, and I sit and ponder in one of our favorite coffee shops, I am sipping on my espresso and she has decided to indulge in a Ghirardelli hot chocolate (sans the whipped cream). The 2nd cup is homey, and I'm pretty sure they only employ 4 people: the owner, his daughter, an Emerson student, and another very nice lady. 

They make more than coffee (surprised?) and have a lovely selection of food that they make there. The scones are amazing, and I hear that the honey-mustard is unbeatable. One of my favorite moments at 2nd Cup was when I had a craving for a meatball sandwich, but didn't want to travel far for lunch. Marielle and I went to 2nd cup for lunch and the special sandwich was MEATBALL! How awesome is that? It was delicious too (although not as delicious as the meatballs that I make). The 2nd Cup is busy most of the day, they offer free wifi, and friendly service. 

I think the best part of 2nd Cup is that they serve George Howell coffee. I go in with a small coffee tin, and have them grind me a half pound to get me through the week. The owner is great, and allows me to only buy a half pound at a time. After all, he knows the importance of fresh coffee. 

Getting to the 2nd cup is easy: walk. No crazy bus rides, no busy T, just a stroll down the street!

No comments:

Post a Comment